Time is UTC - 5 hours

Title: Banditos!
PostPosted: Aug 2, 2014 
Neo Busker

This happened a few years ago while I was in Mexico. I made a HUGE mistake when I checked into a hotel in Guadalajara enroute to Belize. I was under the assumption my gear would be safe in my room for a few hours as I went out to dinner. After dining on fried chicken at local restaurant, I came back to my temporary abode only to find all my stuff missing - guitar, amp, mic, handmade props, camera, tripod, cellphone - they even stole my clothes! Aye yi yiiiiiiiiii!
surprised.jpg
When I complained that someone had stolen all my stuff, all they could recommend was to report to the dreaded Federales and they would take it from there. I pointed out to them that nobody's gear was safe in the future if this is all they did. I had the sneaking suspicion that this was all a setup and that a relative with a passkey simply watched me leave and then cleaned me out.

I went to the Federales and they told me all kinds of people come in with the exact same story that I did and that the hotel in question was "under investigation". I had the same sneaking suspicion about these guys and that it was some sort of running joke with them. They certainly didn't seem very concerned and said they would contact me if I gave them my telephone number which, of course, was useless since the phone had also been stolen.

I ended up just leaving and coming back to Canada without any of my gear save the shirt, pants and shoes I had been wearing.

Let this be a lesson. Never leave anything of value - especially your bread and butter - in an unsecured area without supervision. Even a hotel safe may not be completely secure. Insurance is a good idea, too. Take it from me - I learned from the school of hard knocks.
:scrooge:

Profile E-mail  

Display:  Sort by  

Time is UTC - 5 hours

Who's Online